Thursday, February 10, 2011

On St. Scholastica's feast, a view from Subiaco



When I was in Italy this past September, the final full day of the trip included a daylong visit to the Monastery of St. Benedict and the Monastery of St. Scholastica in Subiaco, just an hour's bus ride from Rome. It was a beautiful day, filled with awesome sights and spiritual inspiration. So today, on the Feast of St. Scholastica, I thought I'd share some photos from the monastery that bears her name.

The entrance to the monastery, which is still a working monastery, is marked by the words that remain at the heart of the Benedictine mission: "Pax," which means peace, and "Ora et Labora," which means "work and pray," part of the Rule that Benedictines live by.


The bell tower:
Inside the Gothic cloister:


Inside the Comatesque cloister:



A fresco of St. Benedict and St. Scholastica during their last visit, shortly before St. Scholastica died:


Outside view:


The start of an amazing meal served at the monastery:


In the gift shop. Jellies and grappa and limoncello, oh my:


One last look:

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Mary, Pictures are beautiful! and such a timely post, as I have been reading in my Italy book today. Thanks for all you do. Joan

Mary DeTurris Poust said...

Hi Joan,

So glad you liked the photos. Going back into my album makes me want to return to Italy right now. Of course, I feel that way almost every day! Rome cast a spell on me. I cannot wait to return -- this time with my husband and children.

Mary