Monday, July 25, 2011

21 questions for a spiritual midwife

I have Joyce Rupp's book Open the Door: A Journey to the True Self sitting on my desk next to a blank journal, just waiting for me to dive in. It was recommended to me by one of my dear spiritual mentors, but I've been hesitant to start, perhaps afraid of what I might discover about myself if I work through this book, or what I might feel called to do? I just chalk it up to the usual "I don't have enough time" excuse, but I know it's deeper than that.

Now, having read this great interview with Joyce by Mike Leach of Why Stay Catholic, I'm inspired to begin my journey through Joyce's "Door." He asks her 21 questions about her faith journey, her work and her hope for the Church and the world. What a great way to get to know someone. Here's the first few questions and answers to start you off, with a link to Mike's page for the rest:

1. Joyce, how are you an average Catholic?
I was certainly an average Catholic back in the 1950’s, when I was living on a farm in northwest Iowa. One of eight children, baptized in a small rural Catholic church, I attended a parochial elementary and high school. Today I live with more questions than answers when it comes to Catholicism. Perhaps that still makes me an average Catholic.

2. What is your favorite word?
Hope

3. What is your least favorite word?
I don’t have a least favorite. I find words intriguing.

4. What sound or noise do you love?
Listening to softly falling rain on foliage

5. What sound or noise do you hate?
Motorcycles coming down my street in the middle of the night

6. What is your favorite book?
The Gitanjali by Rabindranath Tagore

7. Do you have a particular Catholic role model?
Caryll Houselander...
Click HERE to read the rest at Why Stay Catholic.

3 comments:

Robin said...

I found my way here from Michelle's FB link and just wanted to add, re Joyce Rupp's book:

A group of four of us -- all moms whose children had died -- at ages 12, 24, 28, and 28 -- used it for an online retreat together and found it to be a wonderful, door-opening indeed, and healing conversation over several months.

None of us are Catholic, btw.

Mike Leach, whystaycatholic.com said...

Thanks for sharing this, Mary. Love your site!

Mary DeTurris Poust said...

Robin - Thank you for sharing your story about Joyce's book. I think I have to start reading this book right now! Prayers for continued healing and grace for you and your retreat friends.

Mike - You're welcome. And Thanks! :-)