Friday, September 2, 2011

Foodie Friday: Nourishment of a different kind

As you know, I normally reserve this space for whatever I'm cooking -- or ordering at a restaurant. But today it's a Foodie Friday of a different sort. As you read this, I'm making the four-hour drive to the Abbey of the Genesee for a private silent retreat.

It's my first visit to the Cistercian abbey near Rochester (that's the front entrance in the photo above). I called less than two weeks ago to see when they had an opening and lucked out. This weekend of silence is just what I need to end a summer that has verged on insane due to the amount of work I had to do with all three kids at home. (It was no picnic for the kids either.)

To be honest, I am mentally on my way to this retreat even as I write this, so I'll have to save any further blog posting until I get back. I will pray for all my NSS readers while I'm there. Please say a prayer for me as well. Here's where I'll be staying:


I hope the weather holds out so I can explore some of the 1,200+ acres, like this beautiful little spot:


And just in case you think this post is totally unrelated to food, have no fear. Monk Bread is a specialty of the abbey, so I hope to have some for breakfast when I'm there, and I plan to load up the car before I return. I'll let you know if it's as good as everyone says it is.

2 comments:

A Secular Franciscan said...

The bread is great, and the Abbey is wonderful. I hope you have a blessed weekend.

Phoebe Kelly said...

This is a great posst thanks