Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Happy Anniversary to me, to us, to NSS

Happy Feast of St. Francis de Sales and Happy Anniversary to Not Strictly Spiritual. It was four years ago today that I decided to launch this blog, choosing the feast of the patron saint of journalists and one of my personal favorites as the perfect day to jump into the wild and wacky world of blogging.

Back in the early days, my blog was housed on my website, which you can see by clicking HERE. Then I moved it over to blogspot. It has ebbed and flowed with my life. When I'm writing books, as I am right now (two of them, in fact), NSS suffers a bit. When I have a little more time, I'm back at the NSS keys. Truth be told, writing on this blog is really one of my favorite "jobs." I love talking to you and sharing my faith journey -- and my recipes and photos.

This anniversary caused me to go back and look at some of my earliest posts, which gave me a good laugh at where I've been and a sobering reminder of the places where I haven't made any progress. We had THIS photo of Chiara at work while I blogged, and THIS post about trying to get through Mass with a cranky toddler (how quickly we forget those days). And then there was THIS post about being "politically homeless," especially during a presidential election year. It's deja vu all over again.

Who knows what the next four years will bring? I can guarantee that in the coming months you'll be hearing about my new books, one from Ave Maria Press and one from Penguin. And I know you'll get regular updates on my kids, my cooking, my gardening, my travels, and, of course, my spiritual journey, which twists and bends and changes with each passing year. I'm always amazed at where it takes me, where God takes me.

So thank you for joining me here whenever you can. I truly appreciate your friendship and loyalty to this blog, even when I don't show up for days at a time. And now I thought I'd end this post the same way I ended my very first blog post, with a favorite prayer written by St. Francis de Sales (one I have hanging on my bathroom mirror):

Do not look forward in fear to the changes of life;
rather, look to them with full hope that as they arise,
God, whose very own you are,
will lead you safely through all things;
and when you cannot stand it,
God will carry you in His arms.


Do not fear what may happen tomorrow;
the same everlasting Father who cares for you today
will take care of you then and every day.
He will either shield you from suffering,
or will give you unfailing strength to bear it.
Be at peace,
and put aside all anxious thoughts and imagination.

-- St. Francis de Sales

2 comments:

Matt@StBlogustine said...

Keep up the great work!

Fran said...

Happy Blogging Anniversary! As you already know, I had you on my heart and in prayer in a special way yesterday. Love, grace and peace to you always, my friend!