Thursday, August 30, 2012

A little holy cleaning at Auriesville

We spent this beautiful August day doing a little cleaning at the Shrine of Our Lady of Martyrs in Auriesville. Various youth groups are going to the shrine to do some minor maintenance work to help get ready for the canonization celebrations that will take place this fall when Blessed Kateri finally becomes a saint.

Auriesville is one of my favorite spots in upstate NY. Every time I go there, I feel peaceful and joyful. There's such a powerful sense of the sacred on this holy ground. Go there if you can find the time.


Coliseum Church

Chiara dusting the Jesuit saints

Olivia polishing pews

Chiara refilling holy water fonts for maintenance crew

This took some patience and a total lack of skipping

Outside the Coliseum

Looking over the Mohawk Valley


Down on the ravine trail

Two toads, who were dubbed Isaac and Rene

Total peace

Ravine bridge

Ice cream at a farm stand nearby

2 comments:

Fran said...

What a great day! I was there in the mid-90's when I still lived downstate, and I have not been back since. I must go!

Mary DeTurris Poust said...

I love Auriesville. I'm hoping to camp there with Noah's Boy Scout troop in three weeks. I did it a few years ago and just loved it (even though I don't really love camping).

We should take a drive there some time. Like we can get there. We can't even get together for coffee. :-)