Wednesday, October 17, 2012

An independent voter weighs in

So, I'm independent -- politically speaking -- for lots of reasons, mainly because I don't want to be aligned with or beholden to either major party. I chalk it up, in part, to my libra-esque personality. Always weighing, always considering both sides, never wanting to give any side unequivocal anything.

As an independent, I find the goings on related to the current election season beyond comprehension. Although I have strong opinions on this or that policy, I can readily acknowledge that both candidates, even when they don't agree with me, are smart men, good people, politicians with the best interest of our country at heart. Is it really possible that so many people on the extremes of this conversation -- and from what I can see there are lots of people firmly planted on the extremes, at least on Facebook -- are unable to look at the opposition and see decency, common humanity, differences in opinion but sameness at the core? I find it mind boggling, really, that we have come to this place of total disregard and disrespect for those who don't share our exact opinions.

I'm saddened by the fact that I now dread signing onto my Facebook news feed because I know it will be filled with name calling, angry rhetoric, and outright insults. Good people seem to think nothing of pronouncing friends on the opposing side idiots or worse simply for looking at things from a different perspective. How did we get here? Was it social media that led us down this path of intolerance or something else? What does it take to return us to a place where good people can respectfully agree to disagree? Can we ever go back?

I find I refrain from all political commentary, on Facebook in particular, not because I don't have political opinions but because I have come to understand that if I don't hold the "right" political opinions I will be demonized by one side or the other. And, to be honest, I just don't have the energy to waste in an argument with someone who will never see my point of view anyway. So I have opted to keep quiet, even when I have something to say, and that's a very sad commentary on the free speech we hold so dear. Or should hold so dear, even for those who don't agree with us.

I know who I'm voting for in November. That doesn't mean I hate the opposition. It doesn't mean I think everyone who votes for him is an idiot or some other unmentionable name. Every one of us has the power to direct our future. That's the beauty of the voting booth. Go in, pull the lever (or whatever it is we push or pull now), and vote for the candidate of your choice. And, if by some chance your guy loses, have the decency to give the new president the respect he deserves, no matter what his party.

But whatever you do, between now and then, stop assuming everyone who doesn't plan to vote with you is a moron. Tolerance is an empty word if it only applies to people who think like you.

No comments: