Friday, September 19, 2008

Boy Scout camp, here I come

Believe it or not, I am going away for the weekend AGAIN. Only this time I have a feeling it's going to be a lot different from what I experienced on my silent retreat. I am going with Noah to his Boy Scout Encampment/Retreat at the National Shrine of the North American Martyrs in Auriesville, NY. I will be sleeping in a tent for two nights. I haven't slept in a tent since I was Noah's age, and I'm certain there were good reasons for that. I have a feeling I may rediscover just what those reasons are when I'm freezing and wide awake at some point tonight. Still, I have to admit, there's a part of me that's kind of excited about this. I'm becoming a camper, of sorts, in my old age.

Anyway, I've been wanting to go the Shrine, which is only an hour's drive from our house, since we moved here almost eight years ago, so this is a great opportunity. The weekend will include a Mass with Bishop Howard Hubbard of Albany on Saturday night as well as lots of retreat sessions for the boys. I'm hoping I get a chance to venture down into the Ravine and around the rest of the grounds.

You'll hear all about it next week. Have a good one.

No comments: