Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Response to NY Times story on changes to Mass

My post from OSV Daily Take today:

In case you missed it, the New York Times ran a front-page story on the new translation of the Roman Missal in yesterday's edition. The story, "For New Mass, Closer to Latin, Critics Voice Plain Objection," included many negative reactions to the changes that are coming in Advent.

Today the Times is running my Letter to the Editor in response to that story. I wrote not only as a lifelong Catholic but as an author who focused on the changes in my newest book, "The Essential Guide to Catholic Prayer and the Mass." Initially, I didn't like the idea of the new language. My attitude was one of "leave my Mass alone." But as I researched and wrote, I came to love many of the changes.

Will there be some confusion and frustration when the new language is rolled out? You bet. Is this an opportunity for renewal and education? Absolutely. We need to take the positive aspect of what's coming and run with it.

You can read the original Times story HERE. You can read my letter HERE.

No comments: