Friday, April 29, 2011

This was our wedding day first


Happy anniversary to us. Sixteen years ago today, Dennis and I were married at Our Lady of the Assumption Church in the Bronx. And what a lovely day it was. Windy, but lovely. Seems like yesterday. Then I look at our three beautiful children and remember it's been quite a few years since that photo above was taken at our reception.

We went for unconventional. Because we are unconventional. I remember, as I walked across the street from my apartment to the church, an old lady pointing toward me and saying, "That's the bride?!?" She assumed I was a bridesmaid because I was in a wine-colored velvet dress. Like I said, unconventional.

The Mass was truly the centerpiece of our wedding day. We walked each other down the aisle, and carefully chose every reading, wrote every prayer of the faithful, picked every song. It was everything we wanted it to be. And then we followed it up with a kick-butt Italian dinner at Spoto's, a Throggs Neck restaurant. The royal wedding's got nothing on us. I'll put our day up to theirs any time.

So I look back with so many fond memories, but I look forward, too -- to everything that's still ahead. I married my best friend, who also happened to be my colleague in the Catholic press. What a combo. I have been blessed.

Happy 16th anniversary, Dennis. I love you. As the plaque in our entry says, "Grow old with me. The best is yet to be." Here's our wedding song, "Emotionally Yours," by Bob Dylan:

2 comments:

Dennis from the Bronx said...

I love you too! Happy anniversary.

Nancy Piccione said...

Beautiful! Happy Anniversary to you!