Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A new summer strategy

OK, you know things are crazy here when it's Tuesday and I've still got a Friday blog post up. Could have something to do with summer vacation, which began on Friday at 3 p.m. I am up to my ears in work and kids at this point and realizing that if I don't come up with a plan, I might not survive the next two months.

So how to juggle three kids and blog jobs, direct mail writing, feature stories, columns and revisions to my third book? I'm not completely sure, but I think it's going to require restructuring the hours of my day. As I mentioned in my last post, I've managed to find the motivation to get up twice a week for 5:45 a.m. yoga class. Maybe I could set the alarm and get up at that hour two other days each week and work until Dennis leaves for the office. I could get more done before 8:30 a.m. than most office workers get done in several days. (Working from home with kids around makes you very efficient -- and crazy. Have I mentioned crazy?)

One reason I hate to make this move is because it means I can no longer keep up my favorite morning ritual: Dennis and I have our coffee at the kitchen table while he reads the New York Times and I read the Times Union, each of us alerting the other to interesting stories to check out later. The kids eat breakfast while this is going on. When my day doesn't start like this, I feel deprived and disconnected. But something's gotta give and I think it may be this routine. By taking my coffee down to my basement office cave, I can squeeze in time to work while the kids are otherwise occupied.

Maybe giving up the routine on weekdays will make it that much sweeter on weekends. You'll know it's working if you see more frequent blog posts. If I disappear for a few days here and there, you'll know I'm treading water here in the deep end.

No comments: