Monday, September 13, 2010

Rome: Arrivederci, Day 10



After attending 8 a.m. Mass in the side chapel of Chiesa Nuova, in front of the body of St. Philip Neri, I decided to bring this journey to a close by going full circle -- back to where I began on my very first day: Campo di'Fiori. Make sure you get to this bustling market if you visit Rome. And bring cash so you can haggle and buy. Here are some scenes from the market this morning...

A little store with dried sausage hanging from the door. This one is especially for Dennis, amore mio, who would love this little market. I'll bring you here when we visit.

This imposing and mournful statue dominates the square. It's a monument to the philosopher Giordano Bruno, who was burned alive as a heretic in 1600. Not one of the Church's shining moments.


Lots of chili peppers:


Preparing the vegetables for market:


Wish I could take that garlic ring home with me:


Another shot for Dennis, meat and cheese right in the piazza. What more could you want?



Roman zucchinis. I did not get my stuffed or fried zucchini blossoms because they were out of season, as were the carciofi (artichokes). So now I have to come back at least two more times in order to hit both of those seasons.


A square within the square, bustling with coffee drinkers this morning.

Arrivederci, Roma. Now I understand the song.

4 comments:

Fran said...

Gosh Mary, I feel misty eyed this morning as I read this.

Having been to Rome twice and having decidedly mixed feelings about it, you have inspired me to return with your passion and spirit about this journey.

Glad you were able to do this - it was a gift that you shared more generously than most would have. I am grateful to have accompanied you from here. Now we must have that coffee!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mary,

I read your column in Catholic New York. It is the first page that I look for in each issue. I love that you make God approachable. I especially loved your column Loving God First. I too lost my mother many years ago, but you are right, no time or space can take her away from you or me. Today, I decided to read your blog, which I had never done before. Rome is so beautiful and full of all good things sent from above. Thanks and Ciao. Joanne

Roxane B. Salonen said...

Oh Mary, what a gift this has been, for you, and for us as we read about your journey. I have not been able to follow each time you've posted, but I feel so endeared to this experience with you, just because I know how much it's meant to you. I thought it was so sweet how you dedicated some of the photos to your hubby. :) Glad you will be home soon, though. It will feel great to see your kids, husband and sleep in your own bed!

Mary DeTurris Poust said...

Fran, Thank you for being such a faithful follower of this blog and my Rome journey. And thank you for the prayers.

Joanne, Welcome to Not Strictly Spiritual. I am so touched by the fact that you are a fan of my Life Lines column in CNY and have now joined me here.

Roxane, Thanks for joining me on the Roman adventure via NSS. Yes, it's good to be home, although I realize that my home life is even more chaotic than my whirlwind tour of a foreign city. Maybe if I pepper my family conversations with a little Italian here and there it will bring some of that laid back Italian lifestyle to our frenzied home. :-)
Ciao everyone.